Delving deeply into home, work, style and culture, Kinfolk promotes quality of life and connects a global community of creative professionals from London to Tokyo. Since 2011, Kinfolk has become a leading lifestyle authority with a dynamic mix of print and online media, including a quarterly magazine sold in over 100 countries in four languages, daily posts on Kinfolk.com, bestselling books, plus international events and a gallery space in the heart of Copenhagen.
Title: Designer & Art Director
Location: Head Office, Copenhagen, Denmark
Working Hours: Full-time, 37 hours/week
Salary: Competitive based on experience plus 5 weeks’ paid vacation
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Designer & Art Director is responsible for the production of high quality visuals across marketing, Kinfolk.com including sponsored content and social media. While the Designer & Art Director does not contribute to the print magazine, their work will both compliment and reflect the imagery within it. As a skilled photographer, producer and graphic designer, the Designer & Art Director will generate original images, whilst also commissioning contributors, creating visual concepts and designing the brand's assets including newsletters, media kits, event invitations and advertising. The Designer & Art Director will collaborate closely with Kinfolk's marketing, advertising and editorial staff.
Delving deeply into home, work, style and culture, Kinfolk promotes quality of life and connects a global community of creative professionals from London to Tokyo. Since 2011, Kinfolk has become a leading lifestyle authority with a dynamic mix of print and online media, including a quarterly magazine sold in over 100 countries in four languages, best-selling books, regular posts on Kinfolk.com, plus community events and a gallery space in the heart of Copenhagen.
- Generate photography concepts and briefs, manage production and contributors (e.g. issue launches, sales offers, event promotion).
- Photograph and retouch images/assets (e.g. issue launches, sales offers, events promotion, social media).
- Select final images for campaigns.
- Design e-newsletters, marketing assets (e.g. advertisements, banners, invitations, press releases, coupons etc.) and documents (e.g. media kit, pitches, moodboards).
- Generate concepts for marketing activity such as event installations.
- Collaborate with the Brand Director, Communications Director and EIC for feedback/approvals.
Digital Sponsored Content:
- Create pitches including art direction concepts/moodboards, production budgets, timelines and image deliverables.
- Manage shoot production including contributors, budget, timeline, travel etc.
- Select and prepare final photography.
- Collaborate with Communications Director and EIC for feedback/approvals.
- Liaise with the client to provide helpful and timely updates.
- Commission/source photography for Kinfolk.com exclusives including City Guides.
- Curate Kinfolk.com post visuals/layouts including issue editorial and the homepage.
- Publish content and marketing assets to Kinfolk.com as needed.
- Collaborate with EIC, Producer and Brand Director for feedback/approvals.
- Photograph original content.
- Create GIFs/MP4s.
- Provide social media feed visual guidance when necessary.
- Collaborate with the Brand Director and Producer for feedback/approvals.
- Organize all above photography and assets.
- Resize, retouch and color-correct photography.
- Create image packages and links for press/stakeholders.
- Manage usage rights clearance for all digital content and marketing assets.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 2-3 years’ professional experience as an art director, graphic designer or similar.
- Exceptional photograph and graphic design portfolio and an ability to generate inspired, original concepts.
- Collaborative, able to clearly illustrate concepts.
- Strong post-production expertise including retouching and optimizing for web.
- Advanced Photoshop and InDesign skills.
- Strong Wordpress skills and a good grasp of front-end web design.
- Strong print-production skills including knowledge of papers and print techniques.
- Strong existing network and relationships with creative talent and agencies.
- Proven ability to manage and own large-scale projects, meet budgets and deadlines and manage contributors/creative teams.
- Outstanding organizational skills and self-managed approach.
- Outstanding communication skills; at home in a small, dynamic international team.
- Previous experience within media, creative agency or marketing is considered an advantage.
- Fluent written and verbal English.
- Eligible to live and work in Denmark.
How to Apply:
Please click here to create an account with Submittable and apply for the Designer & Art Director position with 1) Cover Letter, 2) Résumé, and 3) PDF of relevant work and links to online profile. All applicants will be reviewed within 3 weeks. Unfortunately, due to a high volume of applicants, only successful applicants will be contacted for next steps. Application Deadline: April 15th
Kinfolk welcomes and aims for diversity; all applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment, regardless of age, gender, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or disability. We look forward to learning about you and appreciate your time and interest.
Kinfolk offers a training and work experience program at its headquarters in Copenhagen that exposes interns to many aspects of the company (such as editorial, design, marketing, sales, advertising, events, administration, etc.) and encompasses activities that enrich the intern with valuable skills transferable to their future career. Interns will be welcomed into the Kinfolk and Ouur team—collaborating with staff daily, sharing our workspace and joining social activities and events.
Discipline-specific internship programs are offered to develop key skill sets, including Studio, Design, Editorial and Ouur Collection placements. Depending on the internship program, the nature of the work could entail researching future articles, designing marketing materials, installing exhibitions at the Kinfolk Gallery, sourcing new retailers, assisting with fashion collections or posting on social media.
There are also clerical and administrative duties undertaken during all internships, including writing emails, working in Excel documents, preparing refreshments, running errands and helping to maintain the presentation of the Kinfolk Gallery and office.
Internships are available to students currently enrolled in a relevant education track and who are looking for placements during their study program's period of internship. The internship is unpaid and typically part-time (20-30 hours per week). With proper coordination by the intern, the internship may equate to credits for the intern’s university or college.
The internship duration is negotiable depending on the availability of the intern and the available openings at Kinfolk, but typically lasts three to four months in alignment with the intern’s university/college term dates. Please indicate your desired timeframe and availability in the notes section of the application.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for any of the terms; hire decisions will be made roughly 4-6 weeks prior to term start date. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applicants, only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please specify your desired internship program/s in your application. We recommend selecting no more than two.
Working closely with the studio manager, the studio intern will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the Kinfolkheadquarters and Gallery. This internship provides valuable, hands-on business administration experience in a busy and creative environment, as well as exposure to the inner-workings of an international publishing house. Duties include:
- Assisting with hosting and accommodating guests, including preparing refreshments and lunches
- Assisting with office supply inventory, sending/receiving packages and running errands
- Assisting with maintaining a high standard of office/Gallery presentation and developing ideas/programs to improve the overall environment
- Developing ideas/programs for improved hosting etiquette and community outreach
- Supporting execution of gallery rentals, exhibitions and other events including sourcing supplies, assisting with set-up and hosting guests
- Assisting with customer service/sales as needed
- Other tasks as assigned by the team, including research
To apply, please specify "Studio Internship" in the "Internship Program" field within the application form.
Working closely with the brand director, communications director and editorial team, the design intern will be involved in the creation of various print and digital assets for marketing, events and editorial. Guided by a team of aesthetes, this internship provides the opportunity to develop visual skills across graphic design, website design, image retouching and social media. Duties include:
- Designing e-newsletters in Mailchimp and other email campaign assets
- Designing digital assets including website banners, shop product images and social media content
- Designing presentation decks, media kits, press releases and other decks
- Designing assets for events including invitations and signage
- Preparing PDFs/images for marketing and editorial
- Editing images including resizing, minor re-touching and filing
- Designing/creating content for marketing and editorial
- Assisting with website and social media content/publishing
- Assisting with styling/art direction when needed
- Other work as assigned by the team including clerical/administrative tasks and research
To apply, please specify "Design Internship" in the "Internship Program" field within the application form.
Working closely with Kinfolk’s editors, the editorial intern will be involved in the production of Kinfolk magazine, Kinfolk.com and book projects, and the creation of various print and digital assets for marketing and events. Guided by a team of experienced editors, this internship provides the opportunity to develop core skills across research, fact-checking, writing and pitching, and offers valuable insight into the day-to-day running of a publishing company. Duties include:
- Writing short editorial stories.
- Researching and forward planning story ideas across all platforms.
- Fact-checking editorial in production.
- Assisting in ad-hoc administrative work (such as transcribing interviews, filing, database maintenance, etc.)
- Keeping abreast of developments within the media landscape and areas of interest to Kinfolk—reading print magazines, newspapers, online journals, blogs, etc.
- Working on special projects as assigned by the team.
- Other work as assigned by the team including clerical/administrative tasks and research.
To apply, please specify "Editorial Internship" in the "Internship Program" field within the application form.
Ouur Collection Internship:
Working closely with the creative director and head designer, the Ouur Collection intern will be involved in trend and visual research for season concepts as well as production support for biannual campaigns. Guided by the head designer, this internship provides the opportunity to develop hands-on experience with apparel design from ideation to fittings. Duties include:
- Creating and updating Ouur Collection overviews
- Compiling collection references and research within the season’s chosen concept
- Assisting with production for seasonal campaign and lookbook photo shoots
- Participating in fitting and prototype meetings
- Assisting with casting and location scouting
- Maintaining an understanding and awareness of current trends and forecasts
- Transcribing detailed changes and edits requested for each style during sample checks
- On set: styling assistance, errands, meals, steaming, etc.
- Other work as assigned by the team including clerical/administrative tasks and research
To apply, please specify "Ouur Collection Internship" in the "Internship Program" field within the application form.
Strong verbal and written communication in English, ability to multitask, dependability, attention to detail, highly organized, proficiency in Excel, familiarity with InDesign and Photoshop. A general interest in publishing/media is expected. Must be enrolled in a relevant eduction course and be eligible for internships in Denmark.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please create an account below and then submit the form on the following page. On the form, please indicate term date preference. All candidates should submit an application with 1) cover letter 2) résumé and 3) reference/s.
*Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for any of the terms; hire decisions will be made roughly 4-6 weeks prior to term start date. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applicants, only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
**Eligibility: Kinfolk welcomes and aims for diversity and all applicants, interns, contractors and employees receive equal and fair treatment. International students are welcomed and considered, but internship applicants in possession of Danish/EU residency or student permits will have an advantage due to visa requirements. International internship applicants must be students in order to apply and a visa must be independently obtained prior to term start date. If you are an international student, please consult your international student supervisor at your university prior to submission for more details and resources.